Generic Name: Gentamicin
Volume: 2ml and 10ml
Therapeutic category: Anti-Bacterial; Aminoglycoside Antibiotic
Description: GENTAREST I.V./I.M. Injection is clear and colourless to pale yellow solution. It contains 40mg/ml of Gentamicin base and it belongs to a group of medicines called Aminoglycoside Antibiotic.
How GENTAREST works
Gentamicin is usually bactericidal in action. It acts by inhibiting protein synthesis in susceptible bacteria by irreversibly binding to 30S ribosomal subunits. In general, gentamicin is active against many aerobic gram-negative bacteria and some aerobic gram-positive bacteria.
Gentamicin is indicated in adolescents, children and adults for the following:
- Treatment of systemic infections due to susceptible bacteria such as bacteraemia, septicaemia, urinary-tract and severe chest infections.
- Treatment of serious infections of the central nervous system including meningitis, pelvis, respiratory tract and gastrointestinal tract, skin bone and soft tissue infections including infected burns and wounds, intra-abdominal infections including peritonitis and ocular infections.
Dosage and administration:
Gentamicin is normally given by the I.M. route, but can be given intravenously when I.M. administration is not feasible.
- Adults: The daily recommended dose with normal renal function is 3-6mg/kg body weight per day as one up to two single doses.
- In life-threatening infection, the frequency of dosage may need to be increased to 6-hourly and the quantity of each dose may also be increased up to a total dosage of 5mg/kg in 24 hours. In such cases it is advisable to monitor gentamicin serum levels. If renal function is not impaired, 160mg once daily may be used in some cases.
- Renal impairment: Following dosage schedule should be followed:
|Blood urea (mg/100ml)||Creatinine clearance (GFR) (ml/min)||Dose and frequency of administration|
|<40||>70||80mg +, 8 Hourly|
|40-100||30-70||80mg +, 12 Hourly|
|100-200||10-30||80mg +, Daily|
|>200||5-10||80mg +, Every 48 Hours|
|Twice-weekly intermittent haemodialysis||<5||80mg +, After Dialysis|
|60mg if body weight <60kg|
Prescribing Information: PDF DownloadThe details of our product are included from the finalized insert available for our products.