Generic Name: LIDOCAINE HYDROCHLORIDE
Strength: 2% W/V
Therapeutic category: LOCAL ANESTHETICS
Description: EVACAINE 2% is a clear, colorless sterile solution. It contains 20mg/ml of Lidocaine Hydrochloride and belongs to a group of medicines called Local anesthetics. It is used to produce local anesthesia (numb a specific area) and stop pain being felt in the area of the body where it is administered. Also, control fast or abnormal heartbeats that are experienced after a heart attack.
How EVACAINE works?
- It is used to provide local anaesthesia by nerve blockade at various sites in the body and in the ionic control of dysrhythmias.
- It acts by inhibiting the ionic refluxes required for the initiation and conduction of impulses, thereby stabilizing the neuronal membrane.
- In addition to blocking conduction in nerve axons in the peripheral nervous system, it has important effects on the CNS and cardiovascular system.
- After absorption Lidocaine may cause stimulation of the CNS followed by depression and in the cardiovascular system, it acts primarily on the myocardium where it may produce decreases in electrical excitability, conduction rate and force of contraction.
- It has a rapid onset of action (about one minute following I.V. injection and 15 minutes following I.M. injection) and rapidly spreads through the surrounding tissues.
- The effect lasts about 10 to 20 minutes and about 60 to 90 minutes following I.V. and I.M. injection respectively.
- Suppression of ventricular extrasystoles and ventricular tachycardia, especially after an acute myocardial infarction.
- Local anaesthesia by surface infiltration, regional, epidural and caudal routes, dental anaesthesia, either alone or in combination with adrenaline.
Dosage and Administration
- The dosage should be adjusted according to the response of the patient and the site of administration.
- The maximum dose should not exceed 200mg.
- Children and elderly or debilitated patients require smaller doses, commensurate with age and physical status.
Prescribing Information: PDF DownloadThe details of our product are included from the finalized insert available for our products.